CSTS and Equality Now
Can't Stop The Serenity
From May through August 2010, Can’t Stop the Serenity (CSTS) events will be held throughout
the world. Fans of Joss Whedon, creator of the science fiction show Firefly and writer/director of the follow-up movie Serenity, organize these annual screenings. CSTS raises money for Equality Now, a charity that supports the rights of women and girls worldwide. Browncoats, or fans of the show and movie, gather as a community and watch the movie Serenity.
CSTS events usually include prizes and auctions. Fans can buy t-shirts, photos, posters, comic books, and other collectables. At least 75% of donations go to Equality Now, and the other 25% are donated to other worthy registered 501c3 charities. All organizers volunteer their time and expertise, including the global organizing team, who help coordinate screenings in the US, Canada, the UK, Europe, and Australia.
Anyone is welcome to attend this event: Browncoats enjoy sharing the experience of viewing Serenity with people who have seen it many times and with those who have never seen it before.
Equality Now was founded in 1992 to work for the protection and promotion of the human rights of women around the world. Working with national human rights organizations and individual activists, Equality Now documents violence and discrimination against women and mobilizes international action to support their efforts to stop these human rights abuses. For more information visit www.EqualityNow.org or contact Amanda Sullivan, Director, Women’s Action Network, Equality Now, at (212) 586-0906.